Babies Who Were Switched At The Time OF Birth
Subscribe for a new video ►► SUBSCRIBE!!!
Our hospitals go through a number of steps and protocol to make sure each patient is clearly identified, for obvious reasons. But sometimes, when babies are born, identification mistakes can happen… and, as horrifying as it sounds, they can get switched to the wrong parents. Here are 10 stories of babies being switched at birth.
10. Two baby girls were born at a Charlottesville, Va., hospital in 1995, and everything was fine for three years. Then one day, after Paula Johnson demanded more support money from her now ex-husband, Carlton Conley, the supposed father of young Callie Johnson, insisted the child was not his and insisted on DNA testing to determine that. Well, not only was Conley NOT the father, further DNA testing revealed that Paula Johnson was NOT the mother of Callie. With that tremendous news, hospital representatives desperately searched for the few women who had babies at the same time at the hospital. Through more DNA testing, officials determined the daughter being raised by Whitney Rogers actually was the child of Conley and Johnson, and vice-versa. But both families decided to raise the children they had as their own. Both daughters, adults now, agree they wouldn’t have changed a thing and love the families who raised them.
9. The switching at birth of her daughter left Sophie Serrano, of Grasse, France, extremely bitter. For 10 years Sophie had raised whom she believed was her daughter, Manon. But an alcoholic and depressed nurse had switched the infant girls while they were being treated for jaundice. Because of the tremendous blunder on the nurse’s part, Sophie had to endure extreme ridicule and rumors regarding her bed partners until it was made public that the child was neither that of her nor her relationship at the time. But that relationship had crumbled by then because of the doubt. When the young daughters actually met their biological parents, it was decided, as heartbreaking as it was, that the families would continue as they were and remain strangers. Sophie said she will never forgive that nurse.
8. After 12 years, Yulia Belyaeva of Russia, discovered her daughter was not hers. This occurred after she insisted on more financial support from who was believed young Irina’s father. DNA tests showed he was not. Further testing showed Yulia also was not linked to the girl. Police investigating the matter concluded the wrong name tags were placed on Irina and Anya, Yulia’s actual daughter.
7. At 2-weeks old, identical twins Kasia and Nina were taken to their Poland hospital for treatment of pneumonia. While there, the staff accidentally switched Nina with another infant, Adita. Doctors later told the parents the twins were not identical and for 17 years, the family raised both as their own. Then, on a chance meeting, a friend told Kaisa that she was the exact double of another friend of hers. When those two met, they discovered they not only had the same birthday, but the same birthmarks and other similarities. They were tested and it was discovered that they were, indeed, twin sisters.
6. It took 24 years before Dimas Aliprandi officially discovered he was not the child of the parents who had raised him, even though he had strong doubts about it a decade earlier. At 14, in 1998, Dimas, of Brazil, had a feeling he was far too different from his four sisters to have come from the same parents. He had blond hair and blue eyes and the sisters all had dark hair and dark eyes. In 2008, he paid for a DNA test that confirmed his feelings. Dimas worked with hospital officials to track down his biological parents, and they found Elton Plaster, who was born the same day as Dimas. When it was revealed with further DNA testing of the family who raised Elton, lives began to change. There was no anger or animosity. In fact, the Plaster family invited Dimas and his family to come live with them on their farm. And they did.
5. Luke Monias and Norman Barkman were both born June 19, 1975 in a northern Manitoba hospital. They grew up as good friends and quickly realized there was, for some reason, a strong connection with each other’s family. Even other friends often remarked how there were strong resemblances with the opposite families. After 40 years, they decided to use DNA testing to find out for sure. It was discovered that each belonged with the other’s family, and that a hospital error just after birth caused the mix-up.
4. David Tait and Leon Swanson were switched at birth at a hospital in Manitoba. They found out 41 years after the fact. Swanson was born Jan. 31, 1975, and Tait on Feb. 3, 1975, at Norway House Indian Hospital. Both families had suspicions for years that the men were switched at birth. DNA testing finally confirmed that, and both men wept upon learning it was official.
3. When tiny Shirley Larsen came home from Campbell County Memorial Hospital, members of the family felt something was wrong… that Shirley just did not look like any of the other seven children. The man she called father kept those feelings to himself for 43 years. When he was on his deathbed at the age of 80, Jim Morgan finally blurted out his suspicions. DNA tests were quickly arranged and it was discovered neither Jim nor Jean Morgan were Shirley’s parents. The hospital had switched her and another girl soon after they were born.
2. Kay Rene Qualls and DeeAnn Shafer, who were both born May 3, 1953, at a hospital in Heppner, Ore., heard rumors through the course of their lives that they were switched at birth. But those rumors were long ago dismissed, and they continued to live their lives, having children and grandchildren of their own. Then one day, an unidentified woman who was very close to death, wanted to clear her conscience, and told the women the switched birth rumors were actually true. DNA tests later confirmed the woman’s claim. Kay and DeeAnn laughed and cried about it, and ultimately had a party to celebrate the births of both of them.
1. An unidentified Japanese man who was actually born to wealthy parents spent his 60 years of life in poverty. The infant he was switched with grew up with private tutoring, a university education and today heads up a property firm. While living in poverty, the man had to rely on handouts and government support. Concerns were raised by the family of the man in the wealthy family when they expressed there were no similarities to him and other members of the family. Through hospital records and DNA tests, it was discovered the men had been switched when a midwife took both babies to be bathed and returned them to the wrong mothers.
That’s all for today. Do you know of any other wild switched-at-birth stories? If so, let us know in the comments section below. Don’t forget to like us and be sure to subscribe. Get addicted to the good stuff.